“The purpose of providing these Competencies, Learning Targets, Developmental Indicators, with Adult Examples for Instruction and Learner Examples (IASEL Competencies) is to provide districts, schools, and those that partner with them, a set of information and resources that can be used to implement social-emotional learning. These resources are provided as tools to encourage focused and comprehensive planning, based on implementation science, to lend breadth, depth, and scope to the process of implementing SEL. It’s important to remember that the ultimate goal is for all learners to grow in their desire and ability to embrace and demonstrate SE competencies.”
-Iowa Department of Education
SEL Competencies Condensed by Grade Band:
- K-12 SEL Competencies by Grade Band
- K-2 SEL Competencies, Learning Targets, and Developmental Indicators
- 3-5 SEL Competencies, Learning Targets, and Developmental Indicators
- 6-8 SEL Competencies, Learning Targets, and Developmental Indicators
- 9-12 SEL Competencies, Learning Targets, and Developmental Indicators
Explore and deepen your understanding in explicit instruction, instructional practices, embedding SEL in core instruction, and organization, climate and culture.
Develop a deeper understanding of the SEL competencies
Guidance to help districts select an appropriate SEL Instructional Materials and Competencies
This resource is meant to be used by Regional Administrators, School Improvement Consultants, and Team Representatives
- 2013 CASEL Guide: Effective Social and Emotional Learning Programs: Preschool and Elementary Edition. Provides a systematic framework for evaluating evidence-based, effective SEL programs. Provides overviews of 23 SELect programs that meet CASEL’s criteria (CASEL, 2013).
- 2015 CASEL Guide: Effective Social and Emotional Learning Programs: Middle and High School Edition
- Navigating SEL from the Inside Out: This report was created by the Harvard Graduate College with funding from the Wallace Foundation. This report evaluates 25 evidence-based SEL curricula. Information related to components of the curriculum, skills taught, presentation format of learning, demographics program effectiveness is based on, in addition to other valuable information when selecting an SEL curriculum.
“The purpose of this toolkit is to support coaches and administrators as they observe practices that support the development of social and emotional skills in classrooms, and hold critical conversations that include SEL”. (AIR, 2017)
“This self-assessment tool is designed to help educators reflect upon (1) their current teaching practices that impact student SEL, and (2) their own SEL competencies to implement those teaching practices.” (Yoder, 2014)